Just Bob

A light in the darkness...

Friday, April 23, 2004

Post Holy Spirit???

Ok, dave has an excellent article that resonates with what I have been saying about the whole postmodern deal. Go read it, come back here and let's try to answer some of these questions that he poses...

Can we work in a context of no absolute truth, when we consider the fact that we as Christians believe that Jesus is the truth?

Are we accepting that postmodernism is thoroughly inevitable, and if so is it really?

Is the fact that postmodern thought seems to run so counter to the teachings of Jesus a sign that the church has been too weak in presenting the message of God's love, and if so is the answer to strengthen our message, in word and deed?

Does meeting people where they are mean we have to accept things as they are?

Are we going in the wrong direction by assuming that we have to reframe the truth of the Gospel to reach a worldview that rejects absolute truth? Is the Gospel powerful enough to overcome people's preconceptions. It was in my case.

What are we going to do? Truth is still truth. Jesus is still the way the truth and the life, right?


And my own questions would be... Where is the Holy Spirit. And I don't mean that as a precursor to say that those attempting to reach the PMers are wrong and I am right. I am trying to reach a PM group of kids too... but what I mean is this: are we shaping the Gospel to reach the PMers or are we allowing the Gospel to reach the PMers and expecting the Holy Spirit to change THEM!

Christ's gospel is one that changes, it transforms, it happens slowly sometimes and quickly others, it is ongoing, it is constant... so is it more revealing that those PM MINISTERS are more *postmodern* than the people they are ministering too??? I mean does this reveal our growing up in a culture that sees everyone as needing help and not being able to meet their own needs so the "establishment" has to step into to meet it? Or more spiritually-pointed... as needing Jesus, but not expecting the Gospel/Christ/Holy Spirit to stand on their own merit and volition??? Is ANYTHING inevitable that God has not told us will happen. I mean we know that a physical resurrection is inevitable... God told us about it. We know a great falling away is inevitable... God told us about it.

But sometimes I get the impression from the Postmoderns that if I preach the gospel as is that I am shooting a gun with blanks or at best suctions darts. That the Word of God isn't enough. But is it really what I do... or how palatable I make the gospel that reaches out to people??? Does God need me and the Postmoderns to reach this generation? Or do I need God?

I always found it amazing that Dr. Livingstone... this distant, white, missionary was able to go to Africa and reach people for Christ. People he had nothing (including language) in common with... but the Spirit overcame the obstacles in spite of who Livingstone was. All because he went. He was willing.

So pardon me if I skip the candles, I definitely am not going to do some ancient catholic traditional service, I just want to be willing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home