Just Bob

A light in the darkness...

Friday, February 20, 2004

My friend the Popcorn Lady

Word association time.
Youth Pastor [think quickly]
"overgrown child" [wrong answer]
Again... Youth Pastor [surely you will get it this time]
"Goatee" [wrong answer, and I am facial hair, except for 5 o'clock shadow, free]
Let's make it easier. Independent Baptist Youth Pastor [now you will get it]
"Broke and CHEAP" [that's right, you win... well no prize but you can brag]

Well, I found something that fit my budget. My family had the grandest time tonight. We went to see a movie. Now before you chastise me for going to the theater (there are at least 5 reasons I don't) I will let you know that we went to our local nature conservatory to see the movie "ICE AGE" on the "Big Screen" [lcd projetor]. There was probably room for about 50 people and it was free. First come, first served. There was also free popcorn and lemonade [yeah weird combo but I ain't allowed to eat that stuff anyways] for the kids first and then the adults. It fit right into my budget [let's see about $1.92 in gas] and the movie was great and the kids were surrounded by other families that were "non-church" families. It was truly some of the most fun I have had in a while with my family. It gave me a chance to meet some people here in the community too. I try to get out and find some people our own age [families 25-40] who are not Christians and just to make friends. Almost without exception it comes up that I am the Youth Pastor just in casual conversation. I met a fourth grader tonight who lives right around the corner from us and her mom is the "popcorn lady" as Lacy called her. During the movie some of the kids were sitting on the floor with their popcorn and lemonade and my son Noah, who is three, found a new buddy who was probably seven or so. Noah began putting his arm around him durning the movie like they had know each other for months (hey, that's a long time when your only three). So I figured I better introduced myself to the Popcorn Lady and her husband. It was a nice night. Next Friday's feature is Snow White. [ugh, we have the dvd and I am about Whited Out] But we will probably go back because we enjoyed it so much and to see the Popcorn Lady and her family again. What a joy it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home